Saturday, July 30, 2011

childhood is calling. it's at the circus.

Nathan and I went to the circus today!
When we all went to Baton Rouge last week, I saw a sign for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus - and soon became obsessed with going. Because who doesn't want to enjoy a day at the greatest show on earth? 

Before the circus actually started, there was a pre-show, where all ticket holders got to meet the performers and some of the animals up close and personal. A lot of it was for the little kids - balancing feathers, dancing and limbo..


But it was still completely awesome. Especially when Duchess the elephant made her first appearance. 5 feet away from me - a huge, wrinkly pachyderm. Ecstatic does not even begin to describe me at that moment.


The elephants were definitely my favorite. 
At the end of Duchess' little show, she put her foot in paint and made a sort of autograph. This footprint was to be given away to the lucky winner of a drawing. I, of course, entered it. I was actually the last person to fill out my information slip; the guy almost didn't let me because the show was about to start. But I told him I'd write super fast, and I did. 
About 15 minutes later, the clown announced the winner of Duchess' foot painting. 
Imagine my surprise as I hear my name being called. 
So I got to run up in front of everyone and claim Duchess' footprint. 
Number 6 of my bucket list - check.


Now one of my prized possessions. 


Thank you, Duchess. I love your art.


I asked the guy behind us to take a picture of us. He gladly obliged. His wife aww-ed when I said I had to document our last adventure together before I leave for college.


Then there were the horses and ponies, as well as the camels. All those pictures turned out blurry - a result of their constant movement and the "no flash photography allowed" rule. 


There were a lot of acrobats.  a lot. 


Suspended by their hair. And she was juggling at the same time! I can't juggle on the ground, forget in the air attached to another girl by my hair. 


Then more elephants came out! They were the highlight for me, especially since there were no lions. 
Only two complaints about the circus:
1. No lions. 
2. The man in front of me ate spicy nachos for the first half, and I smelled them the whole time. nasty.

Besides that, I was in utter bliss.








This group did several different acts, all of which included scary stunts like this. 
The two guys jumped onto the see-saw, rocketing the girl into the air, where she flipped several times and still landed on the guy's shoulder, the guy who's standing on the pole. Crazy cool.


And then it ended, way too soon. 
I now want to join the circus, where I would fill the major void of their lovely show, as the lion tamer
anyone else find this to be a wonderful idea? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great - I am glad you and Nate went; even more glad you had so much fun.

Young People in Love said...

Looks like sooo much fun! The circus is so weird and magical all at the same time :) Looks like the perfect adventure together!
LOVING your blog, btw. Following!

Tori said...

Is he your boyfriend or brother?

Mary Catherine said...

haha! he's my little brother. although most of the time, people think he's my older brother.