Monday, August 1, 2011

two loves - Art and Africa.

Originally when I started this little blog, I had planned to include my art in my posts in addition to my photography. Sadly, that has been grossly neglected. 

A couple months ago I started an African zoo - in my sketchbook. 
I just finished and perfected it over the past couple days. 
(a result of my circus outing, no doubt)







Yes, I do love Africa with every fiber of my being. It's number one on my travel wish list. 
I love how different it is - the culture, the landscape, the people, the animals. It's like another world, which I desperately want to experience for myself.
The main reason I want to travel to Africa is not for the animals or the culture, though. 

It's for the orphans.

My older brother, Grayson, went to high school with a girl named Simone Plimpton. 
She founded an incredible organization called Simone's Kids.







This organization is dedicated to the needs                  
of orphans in Africa - to give them a future.
Right now, Simone's Kids is raising money
to build an orphanage for the School of Hope 
in Nakseke, Uganda, where these beautiful children 
will be provided with their educational, physical,
mental and emotional needs.


This is Simone's Kids Mission Statement:
"The way children grow and develop today will heavily impact the future of our world. Children who grow up without proper housing, nutrition, or education have no hope, and therefore have no future. Simone’s Kids is dedicated to bringing hope into every child’s life, giving them and our world a future to look forward to."











[via]






So hey, go visit Simone's Kids and read about the amazing things this organization has done.
God is using this organization in such incredible ways!
And watch the video - it'll melt your heart. 
or better yet, donate :) 







I used to want to study abroad in college. 
Now I want to go to Africa and work with Simone's Kids. 
Hopefully one day I'll be posting about what I did, 
rather than what I want to do.


-Mary Catherine.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Your drawings are beautiful and your desire to go to Africa is inspiring!

MaryRachel Bulkeley said...

Your drawings are really good ~ you've got talent! That's so cool that you want to go to Africa :)